About the store
I’m Tara Lemay from Campbellton and moved away in 1995 eventually ending up in Ottawa where I met my husband Matt. I’ve always imagined owning a used bookstore some day. I figured it would be after I retired. I’ve visited some beautiful ones like the Attic Owl in Moncton among others which have been an inspiration. It just so happened that the stars aligned a bit sooner than retirement. So with the help of many of our dear friends we started the Flying Canoe Bookstore. Today the store is managed by both myself and Nancy Power with a lot of help from Matt, as well as Nancy’s brother Billy and nephew Aiden, and our amazing employee Marie-Line Daigle.
We picture ourselves to be a pillar in the community, we wish to offer a space where anyone can feel safe and free to let their geek flag fly (however that looks) and meet others who are similar things in common. Whether you are a book geek, a knitting geek, comic book geek etc we want to be the place to be. GEEKS UNITE! We are all weird and geeky in our own way and we always found it hard to meet other like-minded individuals so we want the store to be a central meeting point by offering a safe space for all. Come have a coffee, grab a book, play a game, come chat with us!
We want to grow over the next few years to offer even more, like game nights, workshops of all kinds, knitting groups, book groups, poetry readings, trivia events etc. Stay tuned! We are an evolving entity and by teaming up with other groups, people and local businesses we can make a lot happen together!
Store policy on in-store credit accepting used books - FAQ
We accept all used books, records, puzzles, board games and tabletop RPGs. Here are some details.
We offer in-store credit for all used books. Here’s how it works:
- We reserve the right to be picky. We might refuse some books if they are in very rough shape, if they smell (if you wouldn’t buy it we probably can’t sell it), or if we already have too many copies. If in doubt, bring them in and we would be happy to assist you.
- We give between 1$ and 5$ in-store credit depending on the book. We evaluate case by case. We don’t have a specific formula but we try to be fair.
- Your in-store credit is good for as long as the store exists, it will never expire and you can keep adding to it.
- If you use your in-store credit it is only for used-books and we will only apply it to 50% of the purchase price (otherwise our sales would be zero and we could never stay open).
- You can donate books at any time (for no in-store credit, example if you just want to get rid of them), we will go through them, what we don’t keep we will donate to the SPCA bookstore, if they don’t take them we can recycle them for you.
- If you have a lot of books, give us a call, we may be able to go get them from you instead of you lugging them in to us.
What they say about us
Reach out and let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Location & Hours
Monday : Closed
Tuesday : 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday : 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday : 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday : 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Saturday : 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday : 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.